Thursday, October 29, 2015

Fits and Starts

Log Item: I was under the weather for a few days and that led to a fall-behind and accumulated work that I had to see to. Mia culpa.

Tire Repair by the numbers:


Pull the pin


The fancy star socket


Breaker bar

And that's as far as I got because I had to stand on the brake while pushing the breaker-bar and it didn't budge. Archimedes 101 "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." I need to buy a strong 7/8" diameter (1/2" hole) piece of DOM to extend the length of the 18 inch breaker bar to kick the "Jesus nut" that holds the wheel on off the axel. I have a place to go to buy one, but ran out of daylight today mainly because of phone calls, arranging tomorrow's schedule now that I'm "healthy".

The drama continues.



7 comments:

  1. This is interesting, will wait right here for the rest of the story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been entirely too much hassle involved with merely changing a tire. In a sense, it amuses me, which is why I post the process. In a sense it annoys me possibly because I sound inept (even to myself).

      Delete
    2. A bit cranky maybe, inept never!

      Delete
  2. I don't understand any of this mechanical jargon;mea máxima culpa.
    Running out of daylight is a dreadful thing - you shouldn't be so popular, Larry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more in the line of duty vs popularity.

      Delete
  3. First of all, are you sure you are trying to turn it the correct way? It isn't like the propane fitting that have to be turned the opposite direction? Didn't think so. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it needs to be turned anti-wheel turn direction to loosen. However it hasn't come off and based on what I've learned, the factory has them on very tight. I'm on my way to buy my "Archimedes extension".

      Delete