Saturday, November 28, 2015

Hot Dog Run

Log Item: I believe that there are three great eating cities in America - Chicago, New Orleans and San Francisco. Whatever else you may think of the cities, the food there is distinctive and very good over all. The only place to get a hot dog in my opinion is Chicago and so it was that the motorcycle wanted a hot dog for lunch. I went with the program, and since it was too distant and too cold to make a Chicago run, I settled for a hot dog from Portillo's in Buena Park (near Knott's Berry Farm).

The weather was perfect for a motorcycle ride. Brisk enough but not cold. Which means that while it wasn't perfect beach weather, it was perfect for a motorcycle ride along the beach, after I fortified myself with a hot dog.

You'll note that I took a bite out of the hot dog before I photographed it. A Chicago dog is a hot dog with mustard, relish, tomatoes and a pickle on a kaiser style hot dog roll. The I eat the green peppers and pickle separately. I don't know why I do that, I just do.

And if you're going to have a hot dog, why not a few onion rings? Why the heck not? You can off-set it with a Diet Coke instead of a regular Coke. Can't you?

Then the run from Buena Park to Long Beach outbound and Pacific Coast Highway back south all the way through Surf City USA (Huntington Beach), Newport Beach and Laguna, up Crown Valley Parkway through Laguna Niguel (or Laguna Nigel...)

All in all, it was a good run for the scooter and burned the better part of a tank of gasoline. I have to forestall global cooling and I think that I did my part today by burning fossil fuel.

7 comments:

  1. A posh sausage roll. Yum. I love onion rings in America because they SO big! What a very nice day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posting a photo of a half-eaten hot dog may not have been the best representation of lunch, but it does communicate the nature of the day...laid back, cycle ride, lazy lunch, etc.

      Delete
  2. I do love a Chicago hot dog (the only thing I like about Chicago) and I, too, eat the pepper separately. But like a Lay's Potato Chip, I can't eat just one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, at the risk of confessing gluttony, I must confess that after I ate the hot dog, I ate an Italian roast beef dip sandwich with sweet peppers. I'm not sure which I prefer, the roast beast dip or the Chicago dog. Both are excellent. In my defense, I didn't eat dinner (who could?).

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good day.
    Never had a Chicago hot dog when I was in Chicago so will have to take your word for it. There is a little locally owned hot dog stand outside of HD here and she has tasty polish hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some serious gloves!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look bigger than they are just from the perspective of the photo. They are summer gloves, which means that they're vented - throughout. Not necessarily a good choice for winter riding.

      Delete